Roasted tomato soup
Made with San Marzano tomatoes
San Marzano tomatoes are grown in the volcanic soil of Agro Sarnese Nocerino between Naples and Salerno. They have been awarded the EU's Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) for their unique nature. Our deliciously juicy San Marzanos have a robust red color and a dense texture. The tomatoes are covered with a velvety sauce to preserve their freshness.
60 min (COOK TIME: 60 min)
of olive oil
(divided in half)
of fresh thyme leaves
tins of Mutti Organic Peeled Tomatoes
(chicken or vegetable)
of fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper
of evaporated milk
Share the ingredient list
Roasted tomato soup: Method
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
- Peel and quarter the onions and halve the tomatoes.
- Place on a lined baking tray and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast for 1 hour.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy-based pot and gently sauté the garlic, and the thyme.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the basil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes and onion, continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Add the evaporated milk, if desired, or just drizzle it on top.
- Serve with fresh, crusty sourdough.