Smoked ham and mozzarella calzone with pizza sauce
Made with Pizza sauce with spices
Mutti® Pizza Sauce with Spices (Salsa per Pizza Aromatizzata) is a rich combination of 100% Italian sun-ripened tomatoes blended with traditional ingredients - aromatic basil, oregano, and onion. It spreads uniformly over the pizza giving it an enticing aroma, bright color, and rich taste. With 30% concentration, it is dense in texture and can be diluted with water without losing its rich consistency. This high performing product creates a greater yield and labor efficiencies in commercial kitchens. Restaurateurs who demand consistency use Mutti® Pizza Sauce with Spices so they can consistently delight their guests every time.
(COOK TIME: 60+ min)
Ingredients for Pizza Dough
of 00 flour
(plus extra for dusting)
of active dry yeast
of caster sugar
of lukewarm water
of olive oil
plus extra for brushing
Ingredients for Filling
jar of Mutti Pizza Sauce
(Classica or Aromatica)
to 3 buffalo mozzarella balls
of shaved smoked ham
(cut into strips)
Fresh basil leaves
Share the ingredient list
Smoked ham and mozzarella calzone with pizza sauce: Method
- Stir together yeast, caster sugar and active dry yeast in a measuring cup, cover and stand in a warm spot in your kitchen for 5 to 10 minutes, or until frothy. If the mixture doesn't foam, discard and start again.
- In a large bowl add flour and salt and mix. Make a well and pour the yeast mixture in the well and then the olive oil.
- Mix it all together so it becomes a soft dough. With your hands, bring it all together. You might need to add a little more water to incorporate all the ingredients. The dough should now be wet and sticky.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 10 minutes. The dough should be very smooth and elastic. When kneading the dough, you push the dough away from you, then do a quarter turn. Repeat until the dough becomes elastic.
- Mould the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled large bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with cling wrap and then a tea towel, ensuring no air can get in. Stand in a warm spot for at least an hour, to an hour and a half. The dough should double in size. Alternatively, if you are able to start this recipe a day before, you can let the dough rest in the fridge overnight.
- When you are ready to use the dough, remove it from the bowl, place it on a lightly floured surface and punch it a few times to let the air out.
- Divide the dough into equal portions (this recipe gives you 3 or 4 portions) by pulling a chunk off, stretching it slightly and then rolling it into a ball. Place the pizza dough balls on a lightly floured tray and let them rest for 15 minutes before rolling them out.
- Commence preheating your oven whilst the pizza dough balls are resting. Your oven needs to be quite hot eg 220 degrees celsius for a fan forced oven.
- Roll out the pizza dough ball in the shape of a pizza.
- Spread the pizza dough with a few spoonfuls of Mutti Pizza Sauce. Add some slices of buffalo mozzarella, some smoked ham, basil leaves on half of the pizza. Fold over to enclose the filling and pinch the edges with your finger tips.
- Transfer to a tray that has been lined with baking paper. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat the leftover Mutti Pizza Sauce for a delicious dipping sauce to serve alongside your freshly baked Calzones.