Penne with Eggplant, Tomatoes & Chick Peas
When you’re in the mood for something hearty, yet meatless, this fresh-tasting pasta dish is just the ticket.
Made with Crushed Tomatoes
Mutti® Polpa keeps all the freshness of freshly picked tomatoes. This unique product combines the finely cut pulpy part of the fruit with its own juice.
20 min (COOK TIME: 10 min / PREP TIME: 10 min)
olive oil, plus additional if needed
large eggplant, peeled and diced
(about 6+1/2 cups)
large sweet onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
(about 4+1/4 cup)
chick peas, drained and rinsed
Mutti® Finely Chopped Tomatoes
(14 oz., Polpa)
freshly ground black pepper
crumbled ricotta salata
(about 1 cup)
basil for garnish
Share the ingredient list
Penne with Eggplant, Tomatoes & Chick Peas: Method
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions until al dente. Save ½ cup of the pasta water. Drain the penne, return to the pot, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until it begins to soften, adding more oil if necessary, to prevent sticking, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the onions, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chick peas, tomatoes, ¼ cup of the pasta water, 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper and cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pot with the penne and toss until well combined. Add the remaining 1/2 cup pasta water if the mixture is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the penne mixture among serving bowls. Top with the crumbled ricotta salata and basil and serve.