Penne with Tomato Sauce, Eggplant & Chick Peas
When you’re in the mood for something hearty, yet meatless, this fresh-tasting pasta dish is just the ticket.
Made with Polpa
Mutti Polpa keeps all the freshness of freshly picked tomatoes. This unique product combines the finely cut pulpy part of the fruit with its own juice.
20 min (COOK TIME: 10 min / PREP TIME: 10 min)
olive oil, plus additional if needed
large eggplant, peeled and diced
(about 6+1/2 cups)
large sweet onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
(about 4+1/4 cup)
chick peas, drained and rinsed
Mutti® Finely Chopped Tomatoes
(14 oz., Polpa)
freshly ground black pepper
crumbled ricotta salata
(about 1 cup)
basil for garnish
Share the ingredient list
Penne with Tomato Sauce, Eggplant & Chick Peas: Method
Penne with Tomato Sauce
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions until al dente. Save ½ cup of the pasta water. Drain the penne, return to the pot, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until it begins to soften, adding more oil if necessary, to prevent sticking, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the onions, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chick peas, tomatoes, ¼ cup of the pasta water, 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper and cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pot with the penne and toss until well combined. Add the remaining 1/2 cup pasta water if the mixture is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the penne mixture among serving bowls. Top with the crumbled ricotta salata and basil and serve Penne with Tomato Sauce, Eggplant & Chick Peas.