Aubergine parmigiana with tomato puree
Made with Mutti Passata
Mutti Passata is a very versatile product that can be used in quick dishes due to the fact it is already reduced, as well as in slower cook dishes like Bolognese. However it is cooked it will retain its bright red colour, velvety texture and sweet flavour. Velvety smooth with no skins or seeds, it takes 2kg of fresh tomatoes to make 1kg of Mutti Passata.
80 min (COOK TIME: 20 min / PREP TIME: 20 min / PASSIVE TIME: 40 min)
Parmesan cheese, grated
extra virgin olive oil
Share the ingredient list
Aubergine parmigiana with tomato puree: Method
- Wash and peel the eggplants, then cut them lengthwise into slices. Arrange them in a colander, sprinkle them with salt and cover them with a weight to facilitate the escape of water. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Drain the eggplant slices, squeeze them well and fry them in hot olive oil until golden. Remove from the pan.
- In a saucepan, fry the chopped garlic in a drizzle of oil and, as soon as it is golden brown, pour in the Mutti Passata. Simmer until slightly reduced, then remove from heat and season with chopped basil, salt and pepper.
- Spread the eggplants on the bottom of a previously oiled baking dish, cover with 1 ladle of Mutti Passata, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and cover with thin slices of mozzarella.
- Repeat this step, alternating layers of eggplants, sauce, parmesan and mozzarella until all the ingredients are used up. The last layer must be cheese.
- Sprinkle with a drizzle of oil and bake in the oven at 200 °C for about 40 minutes. Serve the eggplant parmigiana very hot.