Bolognese sauce made with tomato puree
Bolognese sauce is a traditional Italian meat-based sauce typically used to dress tagliatelle. The bolognese sauce recipe is both delicious and easy to prepare, making it a popular dish in many households.
Made with Tomato puree
Mutti Passata is a very versatile product that can be used in quick dishes due to the fact it is already reduced, as well as in slower cook dishes like Bolognese. However it is cooked it will retain its bright red colour, velvety texture and sweet flavour. Velvety smooth with no skins or seeds, it takes 2kg of fresh tomatoes to make 1kg of Mutti Passata.
(COOK TIME: 60+ min)
Mutti Double Concentrate Tomato Paste
large brown onions finely chopped
(about 500 g)
celery stalk, finely chopped
Monini Classico olive oil
garlic finely chopped
(or to taste)
Share the ingredient list
Bolognese sauce made with tomato puree: Method
- Place the oil in a large heavy bottomed pot with a lid. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes until soft, stirring regularly.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the meat, stirring frequently, allowing it to brown all over for about 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the wine. Allow that to evaporate then add the Passata, tomato paste, bay leaf and nutmeg. When it starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve bolognese sauce on top of your favourite pasta, with grated parmesan cheese. Store the sauce in a ceramic container in the fridge for up to a week.