Rosemary parmesan scones with tomato jam
Made with San Marzano tomatoes
San Marzano tomatoes are grown in the volcanic soil of Agro Sarnese Nocerino between Naples and Salerno. They have been awarded the EU's Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) for their unique nature. Our deliciously juicy San Marzanos have a robust red color and a dense texture. The tomatoes are covered with a velvety sauce to preserve their freshness.
For the jam (makes 1 small 170g jar):
Tin of Mutti Peeled San Marzano Tomatoes
Cup of Brown Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Tsp of Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Tsp Ground Cumin
For the scones (makes 5 scones):
(at room temperature)
Salt/Pepper to taste
Fresh Rosemary Stalks
(1 is to glaze the scones with)
Handful of Grated Parmesan
(extra for topping)
Share the ingredient list
Rosemary parmesan scones with tomato jam: Method
Instructions for the jam:
- Place the Mutti Peeled San Marzano Tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, salt, cumin and red pepper flakes in a saucepan and mix. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer the jam until thickened, for about 2 hours. To know when the jam is ready, scrape a spoon across the bottom of the pan and no liquid should fill the path. Let it cool and place the jam into a jar. Keep it refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.
Instructions for the scones:
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt, pepper, parmesan and rosemary.
- Add in the butter and then mix both the dry mix and butter together by hand to make a rough crumbly texture.
- Next, add the egg and 2 tbsp of milk.
- Mix until a firm yet slightly sticky dough is formed.
- On a flour dusted surface roll the dough to approximately 2cm thick.
- Use a round cutter to create the scones shape. Brush the scones with milk and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake on 175˚C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with the homemade tomato jam.