Tomato Amore with Campfire Damper Bread
A perfect campfire cook
Made with Mutti Tomato Paste
Double concentrated for a rich, vibrant tomato flavour, our tomato paste is the perfect addition to many dishes to add an intense tomato flavour.
75 min (COOK TIME: 45 min / PASSIVE TIME: 30 min)
For the Tomato Amore:
of sebago potatoes, thinly sliced to about 1mm thick
(Hint: don’t wash them, you want to keep the starch on them)
brown onions, skin removed and roughly chopped
x 400 g tins of Mutti Cherry Tomatoes
x 130g tube of Mutti Double Concentrated Tomato Paste
whole Italian salami, sliced to 2 mm thick
green onions, sliced
For the bread sticks:
of dry yeast
strong bread flour
salt to taste
Share the ingredient list
Tomato Amore with Campfire Damper Bread: Method
- Prepare your firepit. You will need a 20cm gap between the pan and the coals. You could use a raised grate or logs and bricks to make this gap. Light your campfire pit about 30 minutes to an hour before cooking.
- In a large bowl or clean surface, add flour and make a wheel in the center. Combine with yeast and 1 cup of warm water (you may need to add a little more water if too dry).
- Knead the dough for about 7 minutes until well combined and you can form a smooth ball. Cover and place near the fire to rise (not too close).
- In a paella dish or a large frying pan, layer the potatoes on the bottom. Scatter the brown onion and add the Mutti Cherry Tomatoes on top.
- Fill 2 (empty) Mutti Cherry Tomato tins with water and pour over the top. Squeeze in the whole tube of tomato paste . Scatter the salami around the edges and add the green onions. Season with salt.
- Place the paella dish on the fire and for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the water has reduced to a thick tomato paste-like consistency.
- Collect sticks to wrap the dough around. Roll out pieces of dough to long rectangles (about 10cm long and 3cm wide). Brush each rectangle with a little olive oil and salt, then wrap around the stick and cook over the fire. This will take about 5 minutes as you rotate the stick to ensure a nice even color. Serve the dish with warm breadsticks.