Eggplant boats with cherry tomatoes
Made with Mutti Cherry tomatoes
Renowned for being extremely sweet with an intense fragrant flavour, Mutti Cherry Tomatoes are ripened under the warm sun of southern Italy and carefully selected to offer the freshness of just-harvested fruit all year round. They are soft and succulent yet maintain their form well. As the skin of Mutti Cherry Tomatoes has a thin texture, they are ideal to make quick, delicious sauces or even to use straight out of the tin in place of fresh tomatoes.
1h 20 min (COOK TIME: 40 min / PASSIVE TIME: 40 min)
(or 3 medium)
Mutti Cherry Tomatoes
Olive oil spray
garlic, cut into thin slices
large red chili, finely chopped
parsley, finely chopped
Share the ingredient list
Eggplant boats with cherry tomatoes: Method
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthways.
- Using a small spoon, hollow out the flesh of each eggplant, leaving 1cm remaining, or enough to create a vessel for filling. Reserve the eggplant that has been scooped out.
- Spray a large baking tray with olive oil. Place the hollowed eggplants onto the tray and spray them liberally with olive oil . Sprinkle them with 1.5 tsp of the salt.
- Place them in an oven at 180 degrees Celsius, and bake for 40 minutes, or until the eggplants have started to soften and brown slightly.
- While the eggplants are baking, prepare the filling. Dice the eggplant that you scooped out previously into small squares.
- Place the diced eggplant, onion and 1/4 cup olive oil in a large frying pan. Stir, ensuring all the ingredients are well coated in the olive oil.
- Turn the heat on to medium high and cook until the eggplant has softened and the onion is translucent and soft. Ensure you stir every so often during this process so the vegetables cook evenly, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili to the pan and cook for a further 4 minutes, or until the ingredients start to brown slightly and caramelise.
- Add the Mutti Cherry Tomatoes and parsley to the pan and stir through. Add the remaining teaspoon of salt to the pan, and season with cracked pepper.
- Remove the filling mixture from the heat. Fill the prepared eggplant shells with the filling, evenly distributing the filling between the eggplants
- Cut the feta into small thin square pieces, and place on top of the filled eggplants. Drizzle the eggplants liberally with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Serve and enjoy!