Tomato sardines with cherry tomatoes and fennel
Made with Mutti Cherry tomatoes
Renowned for being extremely sweet with an intense fragrant flavour, Mutti Cherry Tomatoes are ripened under the warm sun of southern Italy and carefully selected to offer the freshness of just-harvested fruit all year round. They are soft and succulent yet maintain their form well. As the skin of Mutti Cherry Tomatoes has a thin texture, they are ideal to make quick, delicious sauces or even to use straight out of the tin in place of fresh tomatoes.
25 min (COOK TIME: 25 min)
x 400g tins of Mutti Cherry Tomatoes
The stalks from one fennel bulb
(gutted and scaled)
Monini Extra virgin olive oil
Crusty toasted bread to serve
Share the ingredient list
Tomato sardines with cherry tomatoes and fennel: Method
- In a medium sized saucepan on a medium heat, add a generous glug of oil.
- Add garlic, capers and fennel. Sauté until fragrant and softened.
- Add both tins of Mutti Cherry Tomatoes as well as 1/4 tin of water. Simmer on low for 25-30minutes uncovered.
- With 5 minutes to go, place sardines with a little oil in a skillet on a medium to high heat. Fry for 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
- To plate, pour the sauce into a dish and arrange sardines over the top. Serve with crusty bread.