Spanish baked eggs with chopped tomatoes
Made with Mutti Polpa
Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes is a unique product that combines the juice of the tomato with its thinly diced flesh, and is able to retain all the freshness of just picked fruit. A very versatile product, Mutti Polpa is perfect for both quick cook dishes and dishes that cook slowly or at high temperatures. It takes 5kg of fresh tomatoes to make 1kg of Mutti Polpa. It is made by the patented Mutti cold crushing method which ensures it retains all the flavour and fragrance of a ripe tomato (and is still a closely guarded secret to this day!).
25 min (COOK TIME: 25 min)
extra virgin olive oil
spicy chorizo sausage
garlic, finely grated
400 g tinned Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes
400 g tin butter beans
free range eggs
Sea salt flakes and fresh ground pepper
Share the ingredient list
Spanish baked eggs with chopped tomatoes: Method
- Pre-heat oven to 170C.
- Heat a large cast iron pan (or fry pan suitable to go into the oven) with 3 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until garlic and chorizo are lightly browned. Stir in tomatoes, beans, paprika and the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until hot.
- Make 4 small wells in the tomato bean mixture. Break the eggs, one at a time, into each well.
- Dot small pieces of chèvre in the tomato mixture, scatter with oregano leaves and drizzle over remaining olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the egg white is cooked and the yolks are slightly runny.
- Serve with buttery toast and a sprinkling of sea salt flakes.