Zuppa di trippa made with chopped tomatoes
Made with Chopped tomatoes
Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes is a unique product that combines the juice of the tomato with its thinly diced flesh, and is able to retain all the freshness of just picked fruit. A very versatile product, Mutti Polpa is perfect for both quick cook dishes and dishes that cook slowly or at high temperatures. It takes 5kg of fresh tomatoes to make 1kg of Mutti Polpa. It is made by the patented Mutti cold crushing method which ensures it retains all the flavour and fragrance of a ripe tomato (and is still a closely guarded secret to this day!).
(COOK TIME: 60+ min)
of pre-cooked tripe
(to save 10+ hours in the kitchen cooking tripe, call your butcher ahead of time and they’ll cook it for you)
of Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes
large brown onion, diced
garlic finely chopped
Salt and pepper
Crusty bread to serve
Share the ingredient list
Zuppa di trippa made with chopped tomatoes: Method
- Saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add your tripe and stir for around 10-15 mins until it is coated nicely and the fat starts to slowly render and melt.
- Add the rosemary, bay and cinnamon and continue stirring on a medium to high heat until the fat has been absorbed.
- Add your stock, making sure that it covers the tripe and then slowly reduce.
- Add your tins of Mutti Polpa, stir it all in and season (note: When seasoning that it will intensify as you reduce).
- Reduce heat and let it gently bubble away for 2 hours. If you need more liquid, rinse your Mutti Polpa tins with water and add as your dish cooks so that the trip is covered the entire time.
- At the end of the cooking time, the tripe will be tender, the sauce should be reduced and there will be a layer of red tomatoey fat on the surface ready to be mopped up with crusty pane di casa.