Tomato ice cream made with chopped tomatoes
Made with Mutti Polpa
Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes is a unique product that combines the juice of the tomato with its thinly diced flesh, and is able to retain all the freshness of just picked fruit. A very versatile product, Mutti Polpa is perfect for both quick cook dishes and dishes that cook slowly or at high temperatures. It takes 5kg of fresh tomatoes to make 1kg of Mutti Polpa. It is made by the patented Mutti cold crushing method which ensures it retains all the flavour and fragrance of a ripe tomato (and is still a closely guarded secret to this day!).
3h 35 min (COOK TIME: 30 min / PREP TIME: 5 min / PASSIVE TIME: 3h)
x Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes
plain Greek yoghurt
fine sea salt
balsamic glaze to serve
Share the ingredient list
Tomato ice cream made with chopped tomatoes: Method
- Place the tins of Mutti Polpa in a food processor and blitz.
- Pass through medium grade sieve to remove the seeds from the tomatoes.
- Place the sieved tomato pulp in a small saucepan on a medium heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently until reduced by half. Set aside to cool.
- Place 380g of the reduced tomato pulp into a medium sized bowl (if you have any extra, reserve in a ceramic lidded container for your next pasta sauce recipe).
- Next add the cream, yoghurt and salt. Stir until combined. Place into your ice-cream maker and churn until the right consistency has been reached using the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place into a lidded container and place in the freezer for at least a couple of hours to firm up. If freezing overnight, remove the container from the freezer about 30 minutes before serving.
- Scoop a ball of ice cream into a chilled glass and serve with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.