Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Broth
The main course from the winner of our 2023 Golden Tomato Cook, Sheel Patel.
Made with Whole peeled tomatoes
The Mutti Peeled Tomatoes are harvested at the height of the summer and are delicately peeled with steam, to capture all the flavour and scents of fresh tomatoes. Firm and fleshy, they are immersed in a creamy sauce. Peeled tomatoes are particularly versatile in the kitchen as you can use them in their sauce, whole or cut into pieces or slices, and are suitable for recipes requiring long and short cooking times. They are ideal for bringing out the best in traditional Mediterranean dishes and will become the main attraction in your Sunday meals.
Thumbnail piece ginger
(scrubbed, finely sliced)
Mutti plum tomatoes
dash of cream
Share the ingredient list
Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Broth: Method
- Heat butter in a large pot and add the sliced garlic, sliced ginger, and finely cut celery. Cook until golden.
- Add the mirin, sambal, soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring once or twice, until mixture is reduced by about half and fragrant.
- Add the plum tomatoes and juices, breaking up tomatoes with your hands as you add them and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and let the sauce simmer for all the flavours to merge and absorb.
- Add mussels to pot and stir into tomato mixture. Cover pot and cook, stirring once halfway through, until mussels are opened and fully cooked.
- When mussels are opened, uncover and remove from heat. Add a splash of cream.
- Serve with the spicy tomato sauce. Garnish with reserved chopped celery and leaves.