Eggplant stuffed with tomatoes and herbs
A vegeterian dish for long Sunday afternoons.
Made with Whole peeled tomatoes
The Mutti Peeled Tomatoes are harvested at the height of the summer and are delicately peeled with steam, to capture all the flavour and scents of fresh tomatoes. Firm and fleshy, they are immersed in a creamy sauce. Peeled tomatoes are particularly versatile in the kitchen as you can use them in their sauce, whole or cut into pieces or slices, and are suitable for recipes requiring long and short cooking times. They are ideal for bringing out the best in traditional Mediterranean dishes and will become the main attraction in your Sunday meals.
45 min (COOK TIME: 25 min / PREP TIME: 20 min)
Mutti whole peleed tomatoes
green pitted olives
grated pecorino cheese
extra virgin olive oil
Share the ingredient list
Eggplant stuffed with tomatoes and herbs: Method
- Cut the white part of the spring onion into thin slices and sauté them in a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil.
- Add the Mutti Pelati and cook for about 10 minutes, letting the sauce reduce.
- Season with salt.
- Cut the aubergines into 3 mm thick slices.
- Grill them on a hot cast iron plate on both sides.
- Chop the capers and olives, combine the mince in a bowl, add the breadcrumbs and pecorino.
- Season with a drizzle of oil and plenty of julienned basil.
- Soften with a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- Stuff the aubergine slices with a little filling, close them in a half-moon shape and place them in an ovenproof dish.
- Cover them with the sauce, sprinkle them with oil, sprinkle them with pine nuts and put them in the oven for 10 minutes at 170 °C.
- Serve hot or warm with fresh chopped basil.