Mozzarella in carrozza
Recipe created for Mutti by @Gabriellas_kitchen
Made with Passata
Sweet and creamy, the classic Passata is the most convenient way to use tomatoes. It’s ideal for short cooking time recipes in which it maintains its bright red color. You only need to heat it up to give a creamy texture to your recipes with eggs, white meat or to prepare a quick sauce for your pasta. At the table, its sweetness and velvety texture will make everyone happy, even the youngest.
30 min (COOK TIME: 30 min)
of thick white bread
(regular supermarket loaf)
balls buffalo mozzarella drained and left out for a hour to dry.
Vegetable oil for frying
For the Arrabiata sauce:
jar Mutti passata
dried chilli flakes
Salt and pepper
Share the ingredient list
Mozzarella in carrozza: Method
- Start by slicing the mozzarella into slices and placing it on kitchen paper to dry.
- Now begin the arrabiata sauce, heat the oil in a pan on a low heat add the garlic clove and chilli and let the flavours infuse the oil, add the Mutti passata and season with Salt and a generous pinch of oregano, increase the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste the sauce for seasoning then this step is optional, but I like to use a stick blender and blend it for a silky-smooth sauce.
- While your cheese is drying out and the sauce is gently cooking away. set up your breadcrumb assembly line. Crack and whisk your eggs in one bowl, then season a bowl of panko breadcrumbs with salt and pepper.
- Remove the crusts from your bread, place the drained mozzarella on 4 slices of the bread season with salt and pepper then add the four remaining slices of bread. Dip your finger in the whisked eggs and use this as a glue around the boarder to seal your sandwich. You want it to be sealed all around the edges. We don’t want to loose any of that gooey cheese at any point!
- Dip your sandwich into the eggs then into the breadcrumbs and set aside ready for frying.
- Heat your oil in a pan until small bubbles start to appear, you can check the temperature is hot enough by dropping a few breadcrumbs into the oil if they float and sizzle its ready, if it goes dark brown instantly remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Fry your mozzarella parcels for 2\3 minutes on each side until evenly golden. I like to keep the cooked ones in a low oven while fry the others.
- Serve your mozzarella in carrozza on a bed of the fiery tomato sauce, a good sprinkle of flaky sea salt and enjoy that utterly delicious cheesy oozy spicy goodness!