Spaghetti Pomodoro made with Peeled Tomatoes
This delicious Spaghetti Pomodoro recipe is adapted from “How to Eataly: A Guide to Cooking, Buying, and Eating Italian Food” by Oscar Farinetti.
Made with Whole peeled tomatoes
Mutti® Peeled Tomatoes are generously fleshy and firm. They have their skins removed and are then immersed in a delicious, velvety passata.
30 min (COOK TIME: 5 min / PREP TIME: 25 min)
extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for finishing
crushed red pepper flakes
Mutti® Whole Peeled or Crushed Tomatoes
Fine sea salt to taste
to 4 fresh basil
Coarse sea salt for pasta cooking water
Share the ingredient list
Spaghetti Pomodoro made with Peeled Tomatoes: Method
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Crush the garlic cloves with the heel of your hand. Add the crushed cloves to the oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Once the garlic is golden, add the red pepper flakes, if using, and then immediately add the tomatoes, crushing them between your fingers and letting them fall into the saucepan. Add the tomato juices from the can as well. Season with salt to taste.
- Simmer the tomato sauce over low heat until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Add the basil springs to the sauce and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of the water to a boil for cooking the pasta. When the water is boiling, salt the water as salty as the sea, and add the spaghetti, and cook, stirring frequently with a long-handled fork, until al dente. Drain in a colander. If the tomato sauce has cooled completely, heat it gently.
- Remove the basil springs from the tomato sauce and discard. Transfer the spaghetti from the colander to the pan. Toss over medium heat to combine with sauce. Add a drizzle of olive oil and serve spaghetti pomodoro immediately.