Penne with Eggplant, Tomatoes and Chick Peas
When you’re in the mood for something hearty, yet meatless, this fresh-tasting pasta dish is just the ticket.
Made with Crushed tomatoes with basil
Mutti® Crushed Tomatoes (Polpa) with Basil starts with sun-ripened 100% Italian tomatoes from the Emilia Romagna region. Picked when perfectly ripe, cold crushed, and processed with our patented technique to capture the flavor of just-harvested tomatoes. To this we add fragrant Italian basil and a pinch of Mediterranean sea salt. Excellent for a fast tomato sauce, gazpacho, or even a Mutti® Mary.
20 min (COOK TIME: 10 min / PREP TIME: 10 min)
( plus additional if needed)
large eggplant, peeled and diced
(about 6+1/2 cups)
large sweet onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
(about 4+1/4 cup)
chick peas, drained and rinsed
Mutti® Crushed Tomatoes with Basil (Polpa)
(or 14 oz Mutti® Crushed Tomatoes (Polpa), plus a sprig of fresh basil)
freshly ground black pepper
crumbled ricotta salata
(about 1 cup)
basil for garnish
Share the ingredient list
Penne with Eggplant, Tomatoes and Chick Peas: Method
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions until al dente. Save ½ cup of the pasta water. Drain the penne, return to the pot, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until it begins to soften, adding more oil if necessary, to prevent sticking, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the onions, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chick peas, Mutti® Crushed Tomatoes with Basil (Polpa), ¼ cup of the pasta water, 1 tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. pepper and cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pot with the penne and toss until well combined. Add the remaining 1/2 cup pasta water if the mixture is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the penne mixture among serving bowls. Top with the crumbled ricotta salata and basil and serve.