Macaroni casserole with minced meat, kale, mozzarella, polpa, basil
Made with Polpa
Mutti Polpa keeps all the freshness of freshly picked tomatoes. This unique product combines the finely cut pulpy part of the fruit with its own juice.
75 min (COOK TIME: 45 min / PREP TIME: 30 min)
fresh basil leaves
(or other cheese like provola, scamorza)
red pepper flakes
Share the ingredient list
Macaroni casserole with minced meat, kale, mozzarella, polpa, basil: Method
- Use your hands to pull the kale leaves from their stems. Coarsely chop the leaves and rinse them.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in large pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the kale a few handfuls at a time, stirring after each addition. Stir in the salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Cook macaroni in boiling water (2 minutes less than the indicated cooking time) and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoon of oil in large pan over medium heat. Add minced meat, polpa, sliced onion and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the kale, 5 leaves of fresh basil, pepper and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked macaroni to tomato sauce mixture, turning to coat well. Spread half of macaroni mixture in the bottom of a 4 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella then repeat layers with remaining macaroni and mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven (200°) for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through. Serve with fresh basil.